National education technology nonprofit is seeking a full-time Product Manager on a contract basis to lead the exciting next phase of the organization’s product development efforts.
What We Do
Classroom, Inc. helps middle school youth in high-poverty communities develop the career-readiness skills they need for their future lives and careers. We create digital learning games set in diverse professional worlds and empower students to take charge of their learning, imagine new possibilities for themselves, and gain the skills and confidence to achieve newfound ambitions.
Why We Do It
Middle school students from low-income communities face a host of systemic barriers, including poverty, racism, and inequitable education. Those barriers combine to severely limit life and career opportunities for young people.
When middle school youth are given the chance to connect the dots between school and their futures, immerse themselves in career exploration, and develop critical literacy and leadership skills, they are ready to bring their full potential to any opportunity they wish to pursue.
Students participating in our program outpace their peers in literacy gains on standardized assessments; demonstrate growth in the 21st century skills that are critical to thrive in the modern workplace such as collaboration, critical thinking, and problem solving; and gain exposure to new career paths and opportunities.
One middle school educator, Kiwonda Riley, explained the impact for her students: “My students were asking questions about how businesses work, and what it takes to be a boss. On top of improving their reading comprehension, Read to Lead taught them the skills they need to be effective leaders. Students are challenged to make important decisions, preparing them for life outside of their classrooms.”
Product Manager Role
In September 2017, Classroom, Inc. launched a new learning platform that made all of our games and resources freely available to educators and students everywhere. It has been transformative for the organization: we went from serving 5,000 students to more than 30,000 students nationwide, and we are able to collect comprehensive data to evaluate our impact and inform our strategy.
Our goal is to develop a new game-based product that meets the need for increasing career-skill development opportunities for middle school students, and make it accessible both within and beyond the classroom.
What You’ll Do
- Drive the product roadmap, feature discovery, and development for our new learning games
- Research, gather, and distill key insights into well-formed product goals, requirements, and success criteria
- Lead a cross-functional team—engineering, design, marketing, program, and curriculum—in the discovery process, keeping the group focused, on track, and engaged in creative collaboration
- Champion the voice of users and stakeholders throughout the product life cycle, adapting the approach with feedback from collaborators while staying on-goal and on-strategy
- Manage the execution, QA, and launch of roadmap features and projects
- Communicate plans, status, and risks (plus mitigations) to all stakeholders
- Triage and escalate urgent issues appropriately and drive them to closure
What You Bring
- 5-7 years’ experience in product management in education, leading cross-functional teams
- Experience in game design and production
- Strong balance of product strategy and execution: the ability to tell a story for the problems you’re solving and the vision you want to realize, balanced with the details of getting it done
- Strong independent project management skills: The ability to lead without authority, prioritize critical-path or high-impact activities amongst ambiguity, and keep complicated work efforts moving forward
- Strong assessment and decision-making skills, especially when guiding conflicting objectives towards a common goal
- Strong communication skills with a team-centric and remote-reliant approach to discussion and collaboration
- Strong analytical abilities, preferably with site conversion metrics and A/B tests
- High-competency in authoring concise, well-formed product documentation
- A real passion for design, usability, and detail
- Passion for our mission
Our Product Values
- We believe that ideas are more important than technologies
- We believe that a diverse group of voices at the table is the only way to create exceptional products
- We understand that the tools we build have real-world consequences for the students we serve and take that responsibility seriously
We’re a small team committed to having a big impact on the futures of the students that we serve. Each and every one of us is fully committed to our mission, and we are looking for new team members who match our passion and are ready to dive in! If you’re interested, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.